A meeting with Shyam Benegal Bollywood Cinema

Our guest this week is the basis of Indian cinema, Shyam Benegal who is considered the pillar.

They both commercial and parallel cinema have made their mark in.

First of all, you tell us about when to become a film producer thought?

Look, it's very old. I then six - was seven. secundrabadh we were in the military camp. Garrison was a cinema there. When I first saw this film was that the value hypnotizes that have come in another world. And through this association that she is still intact.

Which was the first film?

I think that any English film 'Cat People' was. He was horror movie. Audio - Video through something you can do that are different from the real world. The character of the films then and I still draw fancy.

But what you have created films that are very close to the real world?

Fantasy film and the difference is that Dokyumentri Dokyumentri is based on the facts. Films are connected to the common fact. This situation is true, but the support of the imagination is taken.

You are called the father of parallel cinema, what you think

In fact, the odds for a parallel cinema are the creation of the word. This means that as it is shown that this is different from the main cinema. Or try to tell that this is the kind of film is not entertainment. I agree with the words of this kind is not.

We will talk about your first film Ankur, but first tell your boss that Guru Dutt was a relative and a very good filmmaker, too. So what did you admire him?

I was not impressed with him, but his personality was definitely going to inspire. When I saw the game film in 1950, I was very inspired. After seeing this film I decided that now I have to make movies.

What was so special in the game?

Two things were. So for a Hindi film was a modern story, in other songs were also different. The film's scenes were shot the way his style was different too. Their songs were not like the item, I mean songs that were part of the story. But I do not like this film wanted to make. According to my motivation was to make the film. It was not that I had to make a copy.

Guru Dutt's film the best you got what?

The best film I 'Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam' started. In addition, 'Pyaasa' and 'paper flowers' I quite like.

Guru Dutt closely to understand you were watching. King Trejdi they were?
He was very intelligent and an introvert, too. His personality was very interesting. She used to think. People who are creative, they often live in the Depression. His friends were not so. His colleagues were close to their best. Rehman, Johnny Walker and his good friends were. I agree that they did not trust or believe in anyone.

So what you are talking about something like this loneliness that you also love?
Look. I said before that this kind of creative people is a problem, but that does not mean I accept it in front of you to do.

You made the first film Ankur. How did his ideas?
We lived in the outskirts of the city. We leave Sunday or in the days of his landlord's house with the boys used to go to their form. I felt something there. Those events as I wrote the story and this story appeared in our college magazine. Then I thought about it the first film to make.

Shabana Azmi in the film you have to offer?

Shabana not only all the people that were with me for all of this was the first time.


My native is Hyderabad. When I was a child then it was the Nizam of Hyderabad, when something big happens, it became part of India. So I have seen many historical changes.

Shyam Benegal

How are artists that Shabana good?

They think seeing that she is a good artist. They were very confident and though he was not my first choice. In this film I wanted to take Vhida Rahman, but then he was a big star and the role they refused.

But several years later, they told me that he refused to roll that was a big mistake.

Your achievements are so many. Five of the Best feature film award. How does it feel?
Well, I still had 27-28 awards. Award recognition you get. That is the importance of the award.

Tell us about your childhood?

My native is Hyderabad. When I was a child then it was the Nizam of Hyderabad, when something big happens, it became part of India. So I have seen many historical changes. Another thing that feudal rule in Hyderabad city, or thinking, but where we lived was that Cantonment area, where the thinking was different.
.

So what was your father in the army?

No, my father was a photographer. Well, he was an artist, but his studio was for livelihood.

Where you start with?
I first worked in advertising agency. After coming to Bombay, I worked as a copy editor began. Hindustan Lever in the first year I wrote an ad for it and received the President's Award. Six months after I started making ad films and even more than in 1000 also made ad films. So in terms of learning for me was very good.

When I made my first feature film, all aspects of filmmaking, I was aware of. That was the reason that after the bud when I called the V Shantaram asked how such a film made, so far, what were doing. Then I met Raj Kapoor, he told me before that you still did not make the film so well made film. How did it.

Raj Kapoor was how you look?

His old movies were very good. Mr. 420, a tramp. I think the film was excellent tramp. But later they focus more on the show man. Khwaja Ahmad Abbas, Sathe wife used to write stories for them. Raj Kapoor with her in a number of the best films made.

Raj Kapoor's films, you do not feel that was something in the message?

His message was in the films. Actually, he was Filmmekr related to society.

When you used to ad films, feature film in the world of those days you used to and what things affected?

See, my father in the house Prabhat Films, New Theater was very fond of films. This film was very good. While Hollywood films I liked. And of these, even John Ford, William Wilder's films. I learned a lot from them.

A special film, which you have put a lot of impact?

When I was a child, Mehboob Khan's film, then I was a very nice woman. Later, the Mother India Mehboob created. I think this film is so far the best film.

Raj Kapoor was a matter of right. Subhash Ghai today's times of the show is called Man. Do you think that they are like Raj Kapoor?
See, Subhash Ghai Filmmekr are different. He insisted on fully entertain the audience is. So in this way then that is a show man. Raj Kapoor was a little different, but different. He was interested in creating your character. RK Laxman cartoon character of this' common man 'were like.

Your five - six favorite films?

Raj Kapoor's' Awara ', Guru Dutt's' Sahib, Bibi Aur Ghulam', 'Pyaasa' and Biar Chopra's' time 'I quite like. As the Hindi film industry is too big. Films are made so, in such films is very difficult to choose.

You Nsruddin Shah, Om Puri, Kulbhusn Krbanda has worked with artists as well. How do you decide which of these was that which is fit for the role?

Of course, you have to name all the artists, they can do any role, but his height - saddle fit for the role should be. Their capabilities can not take any questions. But you can not roll like that to Kulbhusn Naseeruddin of which are consistent with the build.

Smita Patil brought to you in films. What kind of actress?

This kind of model that the camera was also used to like them. As soon as he comes in front of the camera makes them miraculous change. I mean to say that ordinary girl in real life maybe he started, but in front of the camera as soon as he looks Cmkne. In addition, it was his talent that he could have any role. Manviyta to speak of and then it was a very nice person.

You buried in his films - the group runs over time - time is shown. So what is it you or your personal political ideology?
It certainly is my ideology. I felt that I have. I connected with the problems society has.

Manmohan Desai, Yash Chopra or you ever thought of becoming.

Snap - flare-expensive sets, expensive saris, the world of dreams, a beautiful boy - the girls?

I do not have the same sensitivity. Maybe that kind of movies I will not be able to make even.

In line with Jhubada you like to work?

They are very hard working actress. Very few people know that he absolutely will get ready and come on the set, they do not waste your time. I do admire his photographic memory. Of them 30 years ago will remember the dialogue.

I remember that when I created the age of evil, where there was shooting a lot of noise and had to understudy Postsin. 32, and his scenes had to Dbing. You will be surprised to see that line the entire scene in two hours Dbing said.

Karisma Kapoor and acting?

The acting was excellent in Jhubada miracle. The major role of the lively and memorable. People who saw this film the role of the grand miracle began.

Today's round in which the most talented director to consider?

The name of one can not be. A lot of talented young directors. Anurag Kashyap's. 'Chuck give India' Shimit Amin, Neeraj Pandey, Kokunur Nagesh, Mumbai, my life's pretty good director Nishikant Kamat.

Smiti Patil (file photo)

Shyam Benegal's own Smiti Patil was impressed with the acting

And the musicians?

Many are. Salim - Suleman, Shantanu Mohitre. Are very good.

You worked with so many artists. Your favorite artist?

Are many. But if you ask me we have two artists who are the best I Amitabh Bachchan and Naseeruddin Shah would like to take along the name of both.

Amitabh Bachchan with a movie you have not?
No, have not yet. I hope the film will make with them.

And your next film?
Right now I am making a film and comedy. Maybe eight - as will be ready in nine months.